Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Why are you doing this show?




Tonight I asked the cast the following questions:
Why are you doing this show? What drew you to The Vagina Monologues?
Below are some of their answers... as you can see, it's about much more than just vaginas.
  • I was a victim of domestic violence, this show gives me an opportunity to fight back.
  • To raise awareness: I was a victim of domestic violence, I thought "It would never happen to me."
  • I was a victim of domestic violence, I want the world to know that it can happen to strong, smart women.
  • I grew up in a house where we didn't talk about vaginas. My hope is that by destigmatizing the word through our show, it will allow a woman to feel comfortable to speak-up if a bad situation happens.
  • It's my personal way of taking my life back after being in an unhealthy relationship. Through something I love! Using my 'creative side' and submerging myself in theater.
  • After losing my self confidence in an unhealthy relationship, it has helped me to reclaim my feminism.
  • It gives me a sense of purpose. I feel connected. Sometimes we get stuck in the daily bullshit of everyday life. This has reminded me to step outside of my little world.
  • It makes me feel present. By taking the time to live 'in the moment'.
  • It reminded me to step outside of my comfort zone. I have more to offer.
  • The monologues have taught me so much about the lives of other women. I get to see the world from a different perspective. 
  • The show has made me comfortable with my own vagina! I used to not think too much about it, now we're friends!
  • It has reminded me that theater is an amazing vehicle for advocacy.
  • It has inspired me by watching women working together, instead of tearing each other down. 
  • It's awesome to have so many women from so many different backgrounds come together in a positive, collaborative, supportive environment.
  • The show is important for the next generation to see. We want to show them how to be strong. We have an obligation to take care of, and educate the generation behind us.
  • I want to use the arts in a way so that I can be a positive female role model. Art should be sustaining, there is a lot of garbage in the media today.
  • I want women to be proud of being in-touch with their bodies. We're not freaks for being in-touch with who we are. 
  • Coming to rehearsal and taking these few minutes to sit in a circle and connect with each other, to talk about our day and be present in the moment...is the BEST part of my day.
  • I look forward to it as well, all day long; I think about it. I can't wait for rehearsal.
  • We all have different reasons for doing this show. That's the beauty of it.
Show Dates:
May 22, 2011 3:00 PM
May 24, 2011 7:00 PM

Venue:
Triad Theatre
158 West 72nd Street
New York, NY, 10023

Tickets:
$20.00 (General Tickets)
$100.00 (VIP Sponsor)
There is also a 2 drink minimum (cash only) which covers the cost of the venue. (Non-alcoholic drinks are available).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!
:)